Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My candle burns

I have been trying to find this poem for ages - it was my favorite in Junior High and remains one of my top 10 faves. Ahem:

"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!"

--
Edna St. Vincent Millay

It's a bit morbid, but beautiful at the same time. I love the imagery of a candle burning at both ends. It brings to mind both an actual candle burning at both ends - which I've always wanted to try doing, but I would need something to hold the candle in the middle and then something for wax control. It also brings to mind a teenager, or even a working mom - both the partiers and the brave people trying to make it in this world. This poem has been so thought provoking that I remember it from when I was 13 or so and it's stuck with me since. 13 was only 8 years ago - but that's a long time for me.

What an inspiring piece of art.

No comments: